Made this? How was it?
For the cupcakes:
- 125g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 240ml buttermilk
- 240ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
For the kiwi cream filling:
- 115g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 large ripe kiwi, peeled, pureed and strained (about 3 tbsp)
For the meringue:
- 60ml egg whites (from 2 large eggs)
- 50g sugar
How to make Lemon kiwi cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Gas 4. Line 56 mini or 18 regular size cupcake or muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. In a second bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Once the ingredients are mixed, add the lemon zest and lemon juice, and until combined. Bake the cupcakes until golden brown and the centers spring back when lightly pressed, 16 to 18 minutes for minis or 22 to 24 minutes for the regular size cupcakes. Cool the cupcakes in the pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Meanwhile prepare the filling and meringue.
For the filling:
1) In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar, eggs, and kiwi mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring until it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 12 minutes.
2) Set the pan over a large bowl of ice and continue to stir until the mixture has cooled slightly. Strain the mixture into a clean bowl and refrigerate until thickened and well chilled.
For the meringue :
1) In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine the egg whites and sugar and until the mixture is
1) Increase the oven temperature to 220 degrees C/Gas 7. Transfer the kiwi cream to a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip and fill each cupcake with some of the cream.
2) Transfer the meringue mixture to a separate pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and the meringue on top of each cupcake. Place the cupcakes on baking sheets and bake until lightly browned and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Classic cupcakes with lemon meringu...
- Almond cupcakes with raspberry glaz...
- Lavender cakes
- Lemon Ice Cream Meringue Pie
- Chocolate chip cannoli cupcake
- Apple cupcakes
- Cinnamon sugar graham cupcakes
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Tart
- Individual Chocolate Cakes
- Ladybird cake
- Chocolate peanut butter ball cupcak...
- Apple nutmeg pine nut cakes with br...