- Vegetable oil
- 500g cavatappi or elbow macaroni
- 1L milk
- 110g unsalted butter, divided
- 100g plain flour
- 350g Gruyere cheese,
- 250g extra-mature Cheddar cheese,
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 750g cooked lobster meat
- 120g fresh white breadcrumbs (5 , crusts removed)
How to make Lobster macaroni cheese
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5. Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
2) Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. In a large pot, melt 90g of butter and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a. Still , add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
3) Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tbsp salt, the pepper and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well. Place the mixture in 6 to 8 individual gratin dishes.
4) Melt the remaining 30g of butter, combine with the fresh breadcrumbs and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top. Serve warm.