Magnolia lace trumpets with chocolate cream cheese filling
For the trumpets: 1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/Gas 4. Line a baking tray with foil.
2) In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and golden syrup. Cook mixture over low heat until butter melts; remove from heat.
3) Stir together flour and ginger; add dry mixture to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in liqueur, if desired.
4) Drop batter by rounded tsp 7.5 to 10cms apart onto the prepared baking tray. Bake only 2 or 3 biscuits at a time because you must work quickly to form the cones before they cool and become brittle (If biscuit gets too brittle to roll, run back in the oven for 1 minute to soften).
5) Bake in oven for 9 to 10 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
6) Quickly invert biscuits onto another baking tray, and wrap each biscuit around the greased handle of a wooden spoon or a metal cone to form a trumpet shape. When biscuit is set, slide biscuit off spoon or cone; cool on a wire rack.
7) Fill biscuits with filling and serve.
8) To store, place unfilled biscuits in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days or freeze unfilled biscuits for up to 3 months. Thaw biscuits and fill.
For the filling: 1) Soften cream cheese in milk. Add icing sugar, 125g at a time, blending after each addition. Add melted chocolate and salt. Beat until smooth.