1. Put the frying pan onto a medium heat.
2. Place all of the spices (apart from the mango powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and turmeric) in the pan and toast until you can smell the aroma. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Add the toasted spices to the pestle and mortar. Now add the mango powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and turmeric to the pestle and mortar along with the garlic, ginger and green chillies.
4. Add the vegetable oil, tomato puree, coriander stalks, lemon juice and salt to taste.
5. Pound all of these ingredients until you have the consistency of a masala paste.
Recipe courtesy of: Anjula Devi