For the ahi tuna:
1) In a heavy bottom saucepan over high heat, heat 30ml olive oil and add the sliced onion. Cook the onions, constantly stirring until onions caramelize. Set caramelized onions aside.
2) Heat 15ml olive oil in a large frying pan. Roll the tuna in the dehydrated and crushed onions and sesame seeds. Sear on all sides until browned and to desired doneness (rare to medium-rare doneness is recommended).
3) Serve the tuna steaks alongside Jasmine rice and caramelized onions, drizzled with the vinaigrette and sprinkled with chives.
For the Jasmine rice:
1) In a medium saucepot, cook rice over medium heat with vanilla bean, shallots, butter, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover the saucepot with a lid. Simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 8 minutes.
2) Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
For the vinaigrette:
1) In a medium saucepan, combine both vinegars and apple juice over medium heat. Reduce the liquid mixture to 120ml.
2) Just before serving, stir in the cold butter and margarine in small quantities while whisking over medium heat. Place in a blender and blend for just a few seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.