Recipe by: Lotte Duncan
Upgrade standard mince pies to these mouth-watering little treats with a fluffy meringue to...4:50
- 40 mins
Age Restricted Content
For the pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 25g ground almonds
- zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- 150g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Flour, for dusting
For the filling:
- 225g mincemeat
- 2 tbsp amaretto
- Orange zest
- Edible gold glitter (optional) or sieved sugar, to decorate
- Clotted cream or rum butter, to serve (optional)
How to make Mince Pies with Orange and Almond Pastry
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Make the pastry by putting all the ingredients, except the orange juice, into a food processor and whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Now add 3 tablespoons of the orange juice and whizz until the dough comes together into a ball. Remove, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a floured board to a 3mm thickness. Cut 12 circles out with a 7.5-9cm fluted cutter. Gently press these into the holes of a 12-hole patty tin. The pastry should protrude above the holes slightly to allow for shrinkage when cooked.
Mix the mincemeat, amaretto and orange zest together then spoon a little mincemeat into each pastry case, but don’t overfill them.
You now have three options to top them.
1) Cover the tops with a pastry lid and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown then sprinkle with edible glitter.
2) To cover 6 in a cranberry glaze, mix together 4 tbsp of cranberry jelly and 100g of roughlyroasted hazelnuts. Spoon the topping onto the open mince pies and bake for 15-20 minutes.
3) Once the pies are filled with mincemeat, bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Then beat 2 egg whites to stiff peaks then spoon in 100g of caster sugar to make a meringue. Spoon on top of the baked mince pies, then place under a hot grill for 5 minutes or back into the oven for 5 until golden brown.