For the mincemeat: 1) Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 8 to 10 times. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for at least 3 days before using. Can be stored for up to 6 months.
2) If you prefer a finer texture of mincemeat place the apples, dried fruit and suet into a meat grinder with a large die and grind. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. You may also finely chop the apples, dried fruit and suet by hand.
For the cornmeal pastry: 1) Place the flour, cornmeal, 45g sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Grate the cold butter on the large side of a box grater directly into the dry ingredients. Work together with your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
2) Add the cider and water and stir with a spatula to combine. Knead the dough 5 to 6 times and spritz with additional water if the dough is dry.
3) Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4) Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/Gas 6.
5) Unwrap the dough and divide into 4 equal pieces. Place 2 pieces of the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and roll each out into a 0.5-cm thick round that is 15 to 20-cm in diameter.
6) Spoon about 75g of the mincemeat into the center of each round, fold up the edges of the dough in order to form a crust all the way around. Brush the edges of the crust with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
7) Transfer the dough on the parchment to a baking tray. Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Repeat with the remaining dough.
8) If you prefer 1 large pie, roll out the dough on a piece of parchment into a 40-cm round, about 0.5 to 1-cm thick. Trim the edges with a pizza cutter.
9) Carefully slide the rolled out dough, still on the parchment paper, onto an upside down baking tray. Spoon about 750g of the mincemeat onto the center of the dough, leaving a 5 to 7.5-cm margin around the edge of the crust.
10) Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 to 45 minutes before serving.