1) Firstly, clean the mussels and scrub off any barnacles.
2) Heat the oil in a pot, as it begins to smoke add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
3) Add the anchovies, stir, and add the tomatoes and salt, stir on a high heat.
4) As the tomatoes start to break, add the bay leaf and whole sprigs of fresh thyme.
5) After one minute add the red wine vinegar and tomato juice. As it comes to the boil, add in the mussels and stir.
6) Add a pinch of black pepper over the top and cover with a tight fitting lid for 3 minutes.
7) Lift off the lid and stir and rip some fresh basil into the pot and stir.
8) Cover and heat for 1 minute.
9) Pile up in a bowl and serve with some French baguette which has been toasted, rubbed with garlic and cheese toasted on top.