- 0.67 olive oil
- 1 large onions
- 3 garlic clove
- 2 lbs lean ground lamb
- 0.25 white wine
- 14 ounces tomato
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 ounce fresh oregano
- 3 large aubergine
- 1 to taste salt and pepper
- 3 ounces butter
- 3 ounces flour
- 2.50 milk
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- 2 egg
How to make Moussaka
- For the lamb sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry until just beginning to brown. Add the ground lamb and fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, cinnamon and oregano and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes while you make everything else.
- Slice the stalks off the eggplants and cut them lengthways into 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat a frying pan until it is very hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and a layer of eggplant slices and fry quickly until tender and lightly coloured on each side.
- Lift out with tongs, layer over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish and season lightly with a little salt and pepper. Repeat with the rest of oil and eggplants and seasoning each layer as you go.
- For the topping, melt the butter in a non-stick pan, add the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute to cook out the flour.
- Gradually beat in the milk, bring to the boil, stirring, and leave to simmer very gently for 10 minutes, giving it a stir every now and then.
- Stir in the cheese and some salt and pepper to taste. Cool slightly and then beat in the eggs.
- Preheat the oven at 400°F Remove the cinnamon stick from the lamb sauce, season to taste with some salt and pepper and spoon it over the top of the eggplant.
- Pour over the topping and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling.
(Courtesy of Food.com)