Mozzarella stuffed chicken sausage balls, tomato-basil sauce, cacio e pepe potatoes and roast broccolini
450g bocconcini, bite size fresh mozzarella in water
900g Italian hot or sweet fresh chicken, turkey or pork sausage, bulk if available
1 head garlic
800g tinned San Marzano tomatoes
125ml chicken stock or milk
Try Knorr Stock Pots
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
Find Out More
70g Pecorino Romano
110g good quality fresh pesto from the refrigerated cases of the market
Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling, 4 to 5 tbsp total
1) Quarter baby potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then salt water and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
2) Place a nonstick baking tray alongside a mixing bowl. Remove 12 pieces of bite-sized mozzarella from the water and set on work surface. Remove sausages from casings, if bulk not available, and place in a bowl. Combine the meat into a single mound then score it into 4 sections. Each section will yield 3 large sausage meatballs.
3) To form each ball, take a handful of meat and wrap it around a piece of mozzarella. Roll 12 balls. Coat balls with a drizzle of olive oil. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until cooked through and evenly browned.
4) Whilst the balls are cooking, trim ends of clean broccolini and scatter evenly over a baking tray. Grate or chop 2 to 3 cloves of garlic and drizzle the broccolini and garlic with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper and roast 12 to 15 minutes to crisp the broccolini tops.
5) Add tomatoes to a small pot or skillet, mash with a potato masher and season with salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat then simmer to reduce about 8 to 10 minutes.
6) When the potatoes are tender, drain and return to the hot pot to dry them out a little. Mash the potatoes with stock or milk, 50 to 70g grated Romano cheese, a few generous handfuls, lots of black pepper and a little salt. Turn the heat off the tomatoes and stir in 110g prepared pesto
Serve three cheese-stuffed sausage balls with tomato-basil sauce on top or underneath, cacio e pepe smashed potatoes and broccolini alongside.