- 70g butter
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion,
- 3 stalks celery,
- 1 green pepper,
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp file gumbo powder, plus extra for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsps cayenne
- 1 1/2 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 (130g) tin tomato puree
- 1.2L seafood stock (or 2 (235ml) bottles clam juice)
- 450g haddock, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 450g prawn, shells removed, deveined
- 12 oysters
- 675g lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tbsps hot sauce
- 1kg cooked rice
How to make Nore's slumbo
1) Heat butter and oil in a 6-7L stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, pepper and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelised.
2) Add gumbo powder, bay leaf, cayenne, paprika, salt, thyme, oregano and pepper and continue cooking, another minute. Add tomato puree and cook until it browns, another 4 minutes.
3) Add seafood stock, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Right before serving, add haddock and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, then add remaining seafood. Cook another 5 minutes.
4) Add hot sauce and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve over rice and sprinkle with file powder.