1) Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3. Line cupcake tins with paper liners; set aside.
2) Combine in a bowl both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until combined for about 3 minutes. Add in cubed butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
3) Add eggs one at a time until combined. Slowly add milk and vanilla to batter until completely mixed, scraping down the bowl as you mix.
4) Scoop batter into baking cups filling about two-thirds full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, 17-20 minutes.
5) Cool and decorate with old-fashioned icing.
1) Cream softened butter and add half the sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat with paddle attachment until smooth.
2) Gradually add the rest of sugar to reach icing consistency.