1. Place the milk in a heavy based saucepan.
2. Split the vanilla pod and seeds and place them with the pod into the milk.
3. Bring the milk to the boil then remove from the heat and cool for about 15 minutes, this will also allow the milk to infuse with the vanilla.
4. Beat together the eggs and sugar until they are pale and double in volume and the sugar dissolved.
5. Now slowly whisk half the milk mixture into the eggs.
6. Then whisk the egg mixture into the remaining milk in the saucepan and remove the vanilla pod.
7. Over a very low heat, cook the custard stirring all the time so that it doesn't stick.
8. Cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
9. Stir in the orange zest and honey and cook for another minute, stirring continuously.
10. Remove from the heat.
11. Stir in the cream and then strain the custard sauce into a clean bowl and serve hot or cold.