1. Roughly chop the oranges and place in a small saucepan with the grated zest and sugar.
2. Stew to a thick compote consistency and keep chilled until needed.
3. Bring the milk, cream and peel to the boil.
4. Whisk the sugar and yolks together.
5. Pour on the boiled liquids while mixing.
6. Place some of the chilled compote in the gratin moulds and flatten to cover the base.
7. Put the dishes on a flat tray to catch any spills.
8. Pour on the custard mix and place in an oven preheated to 110°C and cook for 35 minutes.
9. Leave at room temperature to set.
1. Sprinkle a layer of the extra sugar on top and use a blow torch to laze to a golden brown colour.
You can use a large flan dish if you don't have individual dishes. Compote can be made in large quantities and added to stews and sauces. Extra custard can be used on other desserts or with soft fruits with digestives crumbled on top for a quick dessert. Keep up to 3 days in fridge.
For more inspiration and tips visit the Organic UK Facebook page.