1. Bring water, spices, sugar, salt and bay leaf to the boil for 1 minute then cool.
2. Pierce the beef vigorously with a fork all over then pour the brine to cover and leave in fridge for 1 1/2-2hrs.
3. Remove from brine and rinse under cold water.
4. Place in a deep saucepan and cover with fresh water.
5. Bring to the boil then turn down to gentle summer and add 1 onion, 1 carrot and 3 sticks of celery.
6. Cook for about 1 1/2-2hours until just tender and almost falling apart.
7. Leave to cool in liquid.
8. Serve with the cooked vegetables with a selection of pickles and mustard of your choice.
9. For the mash, cook the potatoes with skins on in salted water.
10. Remove skin and mash then beat in the crème fraîche with a spatula, season salt and pepper.
For more inspiration and tips visit the Organic UK Facebook page.