1. Soak dried noodles in water for about 30 minutes or until softened (similar to al dente pasta). Thai rice noodles are generally a little fresher and only need soaking in tepid water but if using store-bought dried noodles, use boiling water if you want to speed up the process.
2. To make tamarind pulp, squeeze tamarind in 1 cup water. Remove stalks and seeds from pulp.
3. Heat ½ cup tamarind pulp, sugar, fish sauce and shrimp paste over a medium heat for about a minute to dissolve sugar.
4. Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add prawns and eschallots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add softened noodles and stir-fry. Add ¼ cup pad Thai sauce and stir-fry.
5. Toss through tofu and dried shrimp. Move everything over to one side of the wok and crack the egg into the empty side. Let it set for 30 seconds then toss through the noodles. Toss through garlic chives and lime juice. Pile onto a plate and sprinkle over peanuts. Serve with dried chilli flakes and lime wedges.