1) Rinse the trout and pat very dry.
2) Place a sprig of sage in the cavity of each fish and season the inside with salt and pepper. Close the cavity by threading a wooden skewer through the flaps.
3) Season the outside of the fish with salt and pepper and dredge in the cornmeal. (If dredging in flour, pat off the excess.)
4) Heat two large skillets over medium-high heat and divide the bacon fat between them. When the fat shimmers add the fish and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Carefully flip the fish with a large flat spatula. Continue to cook the fish on the other side until just cooked though and golden, about 4 minutes.
5) Transfer the fish to a platter and serve immediately with the lemon wedges.
Cook's Note: If your stove is equipped with a large griddle, the fish can also be cooked on it.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved