1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C.
2. Rub the duck on both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place the duck in a frying pan with the side of the duck with the skin on it facing down on the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Then pour off any excess fat, turn the breast over and cook for 10 minutes.
5. To make the sauce, place the cherries in a frying pan and cook along with the caster sugar and white wine.
6. Place the cornflour into a bowl and add a little water, stir until a paste is formed.
7. Add the cornflour paste to the frying pan.
8. Continue to cook for a further 1 minute.