Recipe by Ching-He Huang
For the Marinade/ Rub:
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, each piece in half across the bone
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 heaped tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 to 3 heaped tbsp cornflour, for dusting
- 120ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 4-6 sprigs coriander, (for garnish)
- Newspaper and parchment paper, cut into 8-10 inch squares, to serve
For the Salad:
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 head butter (or red leaf) lettuce,
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium Fresno chile, seeded and finely
- 1/2 spring onion, green parts only, finely
How to make Paper-Wrapped Crispy Salt & Pepper Chicken
In a large bowl place the chicken thighs. Cover the chicken with the garlic, light soy, salt and Chinese five spice powder and stir to coat. Toss the chicken with the toasted sesame oil. Let marinate for as much time as you have, for best results, leave the chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
When ready to fry, toss the chicken pieces in the cornstarch.
Heat a large wok or pan over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, add the chicken and fry lightly for six to eight minutes until the thighs are golden brown on all sides and cooked through. Drain the chicken on paper towels and season them with salt, pepper and the cilantro as they come out of the oil.
Wrap each piece of newspaper and parchment into a cone shape and secure with a piece of tape. Fill each cone with several pieces of chicken, garnish with morecoriander. Serve alongside a platter of fresh salad if desired (recipe follows).
To make the salad:
In a small bowl,together rice vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, light soy sauce and toasted sesame oil; set aside.
Prep the rest of the salad ingredients and toss with the dressing when ready to serve.
- Crispy Salt and Pepper Abalone with...
- Crispy Salt and Pepper Squid with S...
- Three Cup Chicken with Garlic Spina...
- Posh Chopped Suey
- Oyster Sauce Chicken with Bok Choy
- Savory Sour Chicken Noodle Soup
- Yang Yang Crispy Beef
- Vegetable Lettuce Wraps ('Sin Cai B...
- Ching's Yangzhou fried rice
- Sweet and sour duck
- Sichuan-Style Crispy Shrimp with Ga...
- Red Curry Chicken Stir-Fry