1) Combine the smoked paprika, garlic and onion granules and the poultry seasoning in a small bowl. Add 1/2 the spices to the buttermilk in a shallow dish. Combine the remaining spices with the flour and poppy seeds in a second dish. Season the chicken fillets with salt and pepper.
2) Heat the oil in a heavy pan over a medium to medium-high heat, to about 180C.
3) Using tongs, dip each piece of chicken in the buttermilk, then into the flour and repeat.
4) Add the breaded fillets to the hot oil in batches; do not crowd the pan. Cook to a deep golden colour, about 8 minutes per batch. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
5) Serve warm or at room temperature with wedges of lemon to squeeze on top.