- 150g Parmigiano Reggiano, with rind
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and into chunks
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 150ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 4-6 French bread
- Fresh parsley or thyme, to garnish
How to make Parmigiano Reggiano and Butternut Squash Soup
This superb soup has a fabulous taste, enhanced by adding the rind from the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese as it cooks, to extract every bit of flavour.
1. Reserve the rind from the Parmigiano Reggiano and cut it into chunks, then finelythe cheese.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, and gently fry the onion for about three minutes, until softened, but not browned. Add the butternut squash, vegetable stock and Parmigiano Reggiano rind. Heat until the mixture is just simmering, then turn the heat to low and cook gently for about 20 minutes, partially covered, until the vegetables are soft and tender.
3. Remove the rind from the saucepan, then transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and add most of thecheese, reserving about 25g for garnishing. the soup for 15-20 seconds, until completely smooth. Return it to the saucepan and add the milk. Stir thoroughly and reheat until hot. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Meanwhile, toast theof French bread, sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano on top and grill until melted. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, then top each portion with one piece of French toast. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or thyme and a little extra ground black pepper, then serve.
Cook’s tips: You’ll need roughly 500g (1lb 2oz) of butternut squash when peeled and deseeded. If you have any left over, simply roast it until tender to serve as a vegetable with another meal. To store the soup, cool it quickly, then refrigerate for up to three days, or freeze for up to three months.
Recipe Courtesy of Parmigiano Reggiano