1. Sweat the onion and garlic in olive oil and butter. Add the mushrooms and cook for a minute before adding in the rice. Stir until the rice is translucent, then add the wine.
2. Once the wine has reduced add in the stock, one ladle at a time until the risotto rice is tender. This should take around 20 minutes.
3. Once the rice is cooked, add the lemon zest, 50g grated Parmigano Reggiano, crème fraiche and season to taste. Leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, beat together all the ingredients for the garlic lemon crème fraiche dip and season to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
5. Once the risotto is cool, mould it into golf-sized balls with your hands.
6. Mix together the breadcrumbs and 25g grated Parmigano Reggiano cheese with plenty of black pepper.
7. Dip each ball into beaten egg and then into breadcrumbs before carefully lowering into hot oil to deep frying for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with lemon and crème fraiche dip and plenty more Parmgiano Reggiano cheese.
Cook’s tip: These are perfect both hot and cold, so are great to prepare in advance for your summer picnic feasts.
Recipe courtesy of Parmigiano Reggiano.