1) Cream the butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper together with an electric mixer until smooth.
2) Using a very small ice cream scoop, or a melon baller, form 2.5cm balls of butter and cheese mixture and arrange them on a waxed paper lined baking tray. Freeze until solid.
3) Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat the frozen balls in flour, egg, and then bread crumbs and freeze again until solid.
4) When ready to fry, preheat the oil in a deep-fryer to 180C.
5) Fry the balls for 10 to 15 seconds until just light golden. Drain on paper towels before serving.