Serves: 2 pie crusts
1) In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the vegetable shortening and break it up with your hands as you start to coat it all with the flour.
2) Add the cold butter cubes and work into the flour with your hands or a pastry cutter. Work quickly, so the butter doesn't get too soft, until the mixture is crumbly, like fine breadcrumbs.
3) Add the ice water, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Bring the dough together into a ball. When it comes together stop working it otherwise the pastry will be over-worked and tough.
4) Divide the pastry in half and flatten both halves slightly to form a disk shape.
5) Wrap each disk in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
6) On a floured surface roll each disk out into a 25cm to 28cm circle; to line and top a 23cm pie.