1) Score the bottom of each peach with an X. Drop into a pan of simmering water for 30 to 60 secs, Remove and set aside to cool in a bowl of ice water. Peel off the loosened skins.
2) Remove the pits from the peaches and then finely chop the flesh. Put the chopped peaches in a bowl.
3) Pour the cream into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and the vanilla essence. Whip into soft peaks.
4) Cut the cornbread into thin slices. Layer the bottom of a clear glass trifle or other serving bowl with 1/4 of the cornbread. Add 1/3 of the peaches on top of the cornbread and then 1/3 of the whipped cream on top of that. Repeat the layers two more times and crumble the final layer of the cornbread on top.
5) Refrigerate the trifle and serve cold.