1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2) Chop the pecans to the consistency of rough crumbs. Toss with the butter, sugars and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread the mixture out over a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 7 to 10 mins, until darkened and lightly caramelised. Set aside to cool.
3) Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to 1/5cm thickness. Cut the puff pastry sheet into 12 squares, approximately 7 1/2 by 7 1/2cm. Lay out on a baking sheet and bake 15 to 20 mins, until puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4) For the pears, melt the butter with both the sugars in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pears and cook until just tender and the juices thicken to a syrup consistency, about 6 to 8 mins.
5) For the whipped cream topping, whip the cream, granulated sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until it forms soft peaks.
6) Place a puff pastry square in the centre of a serving bowl or plate. Top with a few pears, whipped cream and pecan pieces. Repeat this process 2 more times ending with a sprinkle of nuts.