Made this? How was it?
For the penne:
- 450g penne
- 1 recipe Quick marinara sauce, recipe follows
- Freshly Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- Basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
For the quick marinara sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion,
- 3 cloves garlic,
- 795g whole, peeled, tinned tomatoes, or crushed by hand
- Fresh thyme sprig
- Fresh basil sprig
- 3 plum tomatoes, (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make Penne with marinara sauce
1) Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat, then salt it generously. Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally until al dente - tender but not mushy.
2) Set a colander in the sink and drain the penne.
3) Transfer the penne to the sauce and toss. Add the Parmesan, season with pepper, and stir to combine.
4)Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the basil leaves, and serve. Pass more Parmesan at the table.
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Quick marinara sauce:
1) Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
2) Add the tomatoes, their juice, and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook covered, for 10 minutes.
3) Add the herbs and fresh tomatoes, if using, and simmer for a few more minutes until fresh tomatoes are cooked through.
4) Remove and discard the herb sprigs. Stir in the salt and season with pepper, to taste. Use now, store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Cook's note: For more texture add seeded tomatoes at the end. Also add fresh herbs for a fuller herb flavour.
- Penne with baby mozzarella, tomatoe...
- Bowtie Pasta with Roasted Red Peppe...
- Cavatelli with glazed vegetables
- Spaghetti with oil and garlic (agli...
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Spaghetti with spicy greens and gar...
- Baked ziti
- Quick marinara sauce
- Wholemeal pasta with broccolini and...
- Buttered pasta for children
- Buttered egg noodles with parsley
- Penne with spinach sauce