1) Heat the oil in a well-seasoned 25 to 30-cm cast iron skillet, over medium-low heat, and saute the onion until softened and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute.
2) Raise the heat to medium-high, add the meat and saute, breaking it up with a spoon, until it just begins to lose its red colour. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Add the tomato sauce, raisins, and olives, and adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
3) Stir in the almonds and set the mixture aside while you make the cornbread topping.
For the cornbread:
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and butter.
2) Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Pour the cornbread batter over the beef mixture in the skillet and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
3) Bake the pie until the cornbread is golden and baked through, and the beef mixture is bubbling around the edges, about 35 to 40 minutes. Set the pie aside for 5 minutes before serving.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved