- 2 white vinegar
- 0.67 water
- 1 granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 kelp
- 1 large onions
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
How to make Pickled Bull Kelp
- Go beach combing locally (hopefully you're in an area without lots of water pollution, as I wouldn't use kelp from a polluted area - check with local authorities to find out, first) and find a freshly-beached bull kelp, making sure it's firm and f
- Cut off the hollow portion of the kelp (discarding the bulb) and wash it well in fresh water, making sure to remove any/all sand and detritus.
- Cut it into 1/2-inch rings and rinse in fresh water again, draining it in a colander.
- Combine the brine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
- Place the kelp rings into glass jars and add slices of onion, a minced clove of garlic, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice per jar.
- Add the hot brine to the jar(s) then refrigerate for at least 48 hours before serving.
(Courtesy of Food.com)