1) Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2) In a 3 litre saucepan, melt the sugar and the water together until the sugar dissolves and you have a clear liquid.
3) Heat the liquid to 115 degrees C and then remove the pan to a cutting board. Whisk the solution until it cools and begins to turn opaque.
4) Working quickly, add the citron, pine nuts and orange zest and stir through. Replace the pan over the heat if the mixture becomes too stiff. Using a small soup spoon, drop irregular shapes onto the prepared baking sheets. Allow to harden before serving.
5) Serve with Malvasia wine and sprinkle with icing sugar.