- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 400g granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 420g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 180ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
How to make Plain pound cake
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Grease and flour two 21.5 by 11.5 by 6cm deep loaf tins. Line the bottoms with greaseproof paper.
2) Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 mins, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
3) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
4) Divide the batter evenly between the prepared tins, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester or cocktail stick comes out clean.
5) When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes. Take them out of the tins, place them on a baking rack and allow to cool completely. Wrap well, and store in the refrigerator.