Poached river char with pearl barley, winter root vegetables, napa riesling-chive veloute
Poached river char with pearl barley, root veggies, napa riesling-chive veloute
55g diced vegetables, such as fennel, leek, celery and shallots
60ml dry white wine
300ml fish stock
Try Knorr Stock Pots
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
Find Out More
325ml double cream
1 bay leaf
2 white peppercorns, crushed
60g fresh chives, snipped
For the char
4 (70g) char fillets
1.8L court bouillon
For the barley risotto
15g butter, plus 60g, cubed
2 tbsps shallot brunoise (1cm cubes)
85g pearl barley
60ml chicken stock, warmed
2 tbsps dry white wine
For the winter root vegetables
175g root vegetables, such as carrot, celeriac, leeks and kohlrabi, julienned
1) Heat the 15g of the butter in a frying pan set over medium heat. Cook the diced vegetables until softened but not browned, and then deglaze the pan with the vermouth and white wine.
2) Add the fish stock, cream, bay leaf, clove and peppercorns. Cook until it thickens and then pass through a sieve. Return the sauce to the pan and simmer to reduce to the desired consistency.
3) Before serving the sauce, stir in the cold butter and finish with the chives.
Bring the court bouillon to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat. Put the char fillets in a saute pan, and drain the court bouillon on top of the fish. Slowly let the fish poach without denaturing the fish protein.
1) Heat 15g of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook the shallots until softened but not browned. Add the barley and deglaze the pan with the wine. Slowly add the chicken stock, a little at a time, stirring frequently.
2) To finish, stir in the remaining cubed butter.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the vegetables briefly and then shock in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. To serve, heat the vegetables in a saucepan with a little chicken stock.
Plating of the dish:
Put a spoonful of the barley risotto in the middle of a deep dish. Place the poached char on top and cover with a generous amount of the chive sauce. Decorate with the winter root vegetable julienne.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.