Made this? How was it?
For the pastry case:
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 110g cold ,
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Flour for rolling the dough
For the filling:
- 1 (425g) tin unsweetened pure pumpkin puree
- 130g light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 310ml single cream
- 0.5 tsp ground allspice
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
How to make Pumpkin pie
To make the pastry case:
1) In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the flour, sugar and salt until combined. Add the and pulse until it resembles yellow corn meal mixed with bean-sized bits of , about 10 times.
2) Add the egg and pulse 1 to 2 times; don't let the dough form into a ball in the machine. (If the dough is very dry add up to a tablespoon more of cold water.) Remove the bowl from the machine, remove the blade, and bring the dough together by hand.
3) Alternatively to make the dough by hand, in a medium bowl,together the flour, sugar and salt. Using your fingers, work the into the dry ingredients until it resembles yellow corn meal mixed with bean-sized bits of . (If the flour/ mixture gets warm, refrigerate it for 10 minutes before proceeding.) Add the egg and stir the dough together with a fork or by hand in the bowl. If the dough is dry, sprinkle up to a tablespoon more of cold water over the mixture.
4) Form the finished dough into a disk, wrap with cling film and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
5) On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 30cm circle about 0.25cm thick with a rolling pin. Transfer the dough to a 23-cm pie pan and trim the edges, leaving about an extra 2.5cm hanging over the edge. Tuck the overhanging dough underneath itself to form a thick edge that is even with the rim. Flute the edge as desired. Freeze the pastry case for 30 minutes.
6) Set separate racks in the centre and lower third of oven and preheat to 200C/Gas 6. Put a piece of parchment paper or foil over the pastry case and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake on a baking sheet on the centre rack until the dough is set, about 20 minutes.
7) Remove from the oven and lift sides of the parchment paper to remove the beans. Continue baking until the pie shell is lightly golden brown, about 10 more minutes. Cool on a rack. Lower the oven temperature to 180C/Gas 4.
To make the pie:
1) While the pie shell is cooling make the filling. In a large bowl, together the pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, half-and-half, spices and salt until smooth. Return the pastry case to the baking sheet and pour in the filling.
2) Bake on the lower oven rack until the edges of the filling are set but the centre is still slightly loose, about 50 to 60 minutes. (If the edges get very dark, cover them with aluminium foil.) Cool on a rack. Serve room temperature or slightly warm.