2) Quarter the potatoes, leaving the skin on. Place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil over a medium heat. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place in a medium bowl. Mash the potatoes, season with salt and set aside.
3) In a saucepan, combine the cream and apple and reduce over a medium heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, drizzle the olive oil into a large deep frying pan over a medium high heat, add the bacon or pancetta and crisp for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate, reserving the fat in the pan.
4) While the bacon crisps, remove the chicken to a work surface, reserving the wine. Cut the chicken into large bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour and then brown in the bacon fat.
5) While the chicken browns, chop the vegetables. Remove the chicken to a plate, then add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan, add the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf and thyme. Cover the pan to sweat the vegetables for 5 minutes.
6) Remove the lid from the vegetables, stir in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the wine, add the chicken back into the pan and simmer together to thicken and until the chicken is cooked through, a couple of minutes more.
7) Add the apple-cream and Brie to a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and combine the apple-Brie mixture with the mashed potatoes.
Serve the chicken over the Brie mashed potatoes, with crusty warm bread on the side.