Age Restricted Content
- 2 oz (60g) softened salted butter
- 5¼ oz (150g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ oz (20g) cocoa powder
- 1.1 fl oz (30 ml) red food colouring
- ½ fl oz (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 4.6 fl oz (130 ml) buttermilk
- 5¼ oz (150g) plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 10½ oz (300g) sugar
- 1¾ oz (50g) salted butter
- 4½ oz (125g) cream cheese
How to make Red Velvet Cupcakes
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the beaten egg. Mix the cocoa powder, colouring and vanilla together to form a paste then add to the creamed mixture.
2. Sift the flour and add 1 tbsp at a time along with the buttermilk.on high for 30 seconds to get nice and light and fluffy, then switch off the machine and add the soda and vinegar so they start to fizz. Mix again and then spoon into deep cupcake cases (3.8cm height) and bake at 170 °C for 20 minutes until they bounce back to the touch.
3. Cool on a wire rack and in the meantime make theby mixing all the ingredients together for several minutes until light and fluffy.
4. Add more milk orsugar to change the consistency. You should aim for something that holds its shape without being too stiff. the on top of the cakes using a reusable bag and large star nozzle and decorate as required.