Special equipment: latex gloves for handling peppers, optional, and toothpicks or small wooden skewers.
1. Preheat the oven to 135°C. Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
2. If you have them, slip on some latex gloves for the pepper prep. Cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membranes (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things hot).
3. Smear cream cheese into each jalapeno half and then wrap with a bacon piece (1/2 slice). Secure by sticking a toothpick through the middle. Place on the rack in the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. (You don't want the bacon pieces to shrink so much they start to squeeze the jalapenos.) If after 45 minutes the bacon doesn't look brown enough, just keep cooking until the bacon is sizzling.
5. Serve immediately, or they're also great at room temperature.