1) Let steaks rest from the refrigerator for a few minutes to take the chill off. Preheat a griddle pan or outdoor barbecue to high heat. Combine the spice rub ingredients: chilli, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Rub the spice blend into the steaks.
2) Coat the sliced red onion with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Griddle or barbecue the steaks and onion slices for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Let the meat stand for 5 minutes for the juices to redistribute. Season the steaks with salt. Top with separated rings of the onion.
Serve with hot cracked corn and cheese squares and Mexican Salad.
Cracked corn and cheese squares:
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2) Grease a 20-cm square baking dish with butter. Stir the cheese, corn and spring onions into the prepared packaged corn muffin batter.
3) Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake until golden, about 15 to 18 minutes.
1) Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Wedge the avocados and pile in the centre of a large platter.
2) Seed and wedge the tomatoes and arrange them around the avocados. Spread the sliced onion over the platter. Sprinkle with cilantro. Squeeze the juice of two limes evenly over the salad. Season with coarse salt.
Drizzle the platter with oil and serve.