Made this? How was it?
For the steak:
- 4 (225g-250g, 2 1/2-cm thick) sirloin strip steaks
- 1 1/2 tbsps (a palmful) chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tbsps (a palmful) ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into 4 thick
- Extra virgin olive or vegetable oil, to coat
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the cracked corn and cheese squares:
- 1 (230g) package corn muffin mix, mixed to package directions
- Softened , to grease baking dish
- 150g Monterey Jack or spicy cheese, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 100g frozen corn kernels
- 1 spring onion, thinly
For the Mexican salad:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion,
- coriander, about 2 tbsps
- 2 limes
- Coarse salt
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
How to make Rio Grande rub steaks
1) Let steaks rest from the refrigerator for a few minutes to take the chill off. Preheat a griddle pan or outdoor barbecue to high heat. Combine the spice rub ingredients: chilli, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Rub the spice into the steaks.
2) Coat the red onion with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Griddle or barbecue the steaks and onion for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Let the meat stand for 5 minutes for the juices to redistribute. Season the steaks with salt. Top with separated rings of the onion.
Serve with hot cracked corn and cheese squares and Mexican Salad.
Cracked corn and cheese squares:
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2) Grease a 20-cm square baking dish with . Stir the cheese, corn and spring onions into the prepared packaged corn muffin batter.
3) Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake until golden, about 15 to 18 minutes.
1) Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Wedge the avocados and pile in the centre of a large platter.
2) Seed and wedge the tomatoes and arrange them around the avocados. Spread the onion over the platter. Sprinkle with cilantro. Squeeze the juice of two limes evenly over the salad. Season with coarse salt.
Drizzle the platter with oil and serve.
- Open-Face Grilled Steak Sandwich
- Pork tenderloin with plum barbecue....
- Classic Cowboy Steak with Mushrooms...
- Tagliata alla Fiorentina
- Dry rubbed rib-eye steak
- Skirt steak with ancho-onion steak....
- Traditional Gaelic Irish steak with...
- Sliced steak with herbs
- Sliced steaks with sweet and spicy....
- Steakhouse sliders and mini steak c...
- Perfect char-griddled fillet steak