Roasted Apple Pies with Whipped Cream
Giada De Laurentiis shares her easy, home-made apple pie recipe.
1) Place an oven rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ gas mark 6. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or some parchment paper sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
2) Unroll the shortcrust pastry on a work surface and roll out. Using an 8-cm round cookie cutter, cut out eight discs of pastry. Arrange the pastry discs on the prepared baking sheet. Using the prongs of a fork, prick the pastry all over. Bake until brown and crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
3) Remove the bottom of the apples to create an even surface for cutting. Slice each apple into six (1-cm) slices. Cut each apple slice in half and remove any seeds or pieces of core. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Add the apple slices and toss until coated. Shake off any excess mixture. Arrange the apple slices in a single layer on the same baking sheet as used previously. Bake until dark brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
4) In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream until thick, about 1 minute. Add the icing sugar and continue to beat until the cream is very thick.
5) To assemble, place the pastry discs on a work surface. Divide the cooked apple slices among four of the discs. Dollop about 2 tablespoons of the cream on top of the apples and cover with the remaining discs.
Transfer the apple pies to a dessert plates, dust with cinnamon and serve immediately.