For the duck:
1. Bring all ingredients up to the boil, cool and pass into a bowl and cool.
2. Put the crowns of duck in brine overnight.
3. Take out, drain, dry and leave uncovered in fridge to dry skin.
4. Score lightly with a sharp knife.
5. Heat oil and sear lightly, then turn over and rub with five spice, salt and oil mix.
6. Place the duck crowns in a pre-heated oven at 180°C and allow to roast for 60 minutes.
7. To serve, take the duck off the bone and cut lengthwise.
For the potatoes:
1. Cut a slice off the top of potatoes, turn over and lightly crush.
2. Heat in oil and butter.
3. Put potatoes in cut side down and colour, heat through.
4. Dip into chives and serve.
For the sauce:
1. Roast walnuts in oven 180°C for 5 minutes.
2. Rub the walnuts in a cloth to remove any skin.
3. Cool the walnut and then grind coarsely in a food processor.
4. Heat the oil and add onions, sweat gently without colouring.
5. Add in the walnuts and the five spice. Sweat for 5 minutes.
6. Add white wine and Madeira and reduce gently then add stock and reduce. When ready, strain the sauce into a clean pan.
7. Whisk in the cold butter, season and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Brian Turner