Recipe by: Ed Baines
More Recipes You May Like
- 1 pheasant (hung for no longer than 1 week)
- 8 tbsps butterfat
- 40g breadcrumbs
- Bunch of thyme, finely
- 45ml brandy
- 12 strips streaky bacon
- Frozen peas
- 1m of butcher's string
How to make Roasted pheasant
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 8.
2) Place the pheasant into a hot frying pan. Once in the pan, add four knobs of . Using a pair of tongs, move the pheasant around in the hot for two minutes so the skin starts to brown. Take off the heat.
3) In a non-reactive dish, stir the butterfat, breadcrumbs and thyme together with a spoon. Halfway through, add the brandy and continue mixing. Finally, add some salt and pepper to form a stuffing mix.
4) Spoon the stuffing mix inside the pheasant until it's full.
5) Wrap the bird with strips of streaky bacon in crisscrossed shapes.
6) Using the string, pull it up from under the bird, tying slipknots to secure the bacon.
7) Place the pheasant on a baking tray and put into the oven for 10 minutes, before turning down the temperature to 180C/Gas 4 for a further 10 minutes.
8) Boil the vegetables and season with , salt and pepper.
9) Take out the pheasant and let it rest for 10 minutes, spooning its own juices on top.
Using a carving knife and fork, remove the bacon and the meat. Serve with carrots, peas, potatoes and gravy.