2) Remove from the oven and transfer the plums and their juices to a large bowl. Cool and chill in the refrigerator.
For the citrus curd:
1) While the plums roast, in a heavy large saucepan whisk the juices, sugar, zests and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Add the butter and cook over a moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until thickened.
2) Force through a fine-mesh sieve into a wide shallow dish and cover the surface with cling film. Cool completely, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Chill until completely cold (about 30 minutes).
For the basil syrup:
1) Combine the water, sugar and the basil in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
2) Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a glass measuring jug. Cool completely in the freezer until cold.
For the mascarpone cream:
1) In a large bowl beat the mascarpone, sugar, 60ml of the cream and the vanilla until smooth, using an electric hand mixer.
2) In a stand mixer (with whisk attachment), beat the remaining cream until peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
1) Puree 150g of the roasted plums and 60ml of basil syrup in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining roasted plums.
2) Arrange 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom of a 3.5L glass trifle dish. Drizzle with 1/3 of the remaining basil syrup. Spoon 1/3 of the mascarpone filling over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Spoon half the plum mixture over; spread to the sides of the dish. Spoon half the citrus curd over the plum mixture in dollops, then spread to the sides of the dish.
3) Repeat the layering process with 1/3 of the cake cubes, 1/3 of the basil syrup, 1/3 of the mascarpone filling and the remaining plum mixture, then the remaining cake cubes, basil syrup and remaining citrus curd. Spread the remaining mascarpone filling over the top.
4) Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Serve sprinkled with nuts and garnished with basil sprigs.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.