1. Make some sugar sauce with the sugar and water heating the sugar and adding the water once it starts to burn.
2. Mix the minced salmon with the shallots, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, and a dash of the caramel sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands so mixed in.
3. On a well oiled surface make little burger shaped patties.
4. Season with salt and pepper and place on a well heated well oiled surface and sear on both sides so they are still rare inside.
5. These little burgers cook very quickly so make sure they are not overcooked they should be eaten medium rare. This will take around 4 minutes in total between both sides. Meanwhile, make the Nuoc Cham dipping sauce.
6. In a saucepan mix the vinegar, sugar and 60ml water. Bring to the boil and add the chilli and garlic to infuse. Add to this mixture some lime juice. Mix well and stir in the fish sauce. (For a variation, add some grated carrot or Carrot and Daikon Pickles to the dip).
7. Serve warm or chilled in small bowls.
8. Set the noodles on a plate, next to a plate of herbs and a bowl of Nuoc Cham dipping sauce. Place the salmon burgers on another plate.
There is a way of eating these; each guest should be given a rice bowl. Then, he or she places the rice noodles into the Nuoc Cham, then places it in the bowl and mixes it with some herbs. Take a salmon burger and place in the bowl, then scoop it out with the nuoc cham laced noodles and herbs.