Made this? How was it?
- 6 beef short ribs, trimmed of fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125ml good olive oil
- 150g onion (2 onions)
- 6 large stalks celery,
- 2 carrots, peeled and large-diced
- 1 small fennel, fronds, stems, and core removed, large-diced
- 1 leek, white part only, cleaned and large-diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely
- 1 (750ml) bottle burgundy or other dry red wine
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 1.5L beef stock
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
How to make Scott's short ribs
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6. Place the short ribs on a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 150C/Gas mark 2.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven and add the onion, celery, carrots, fennel and leek and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
3) Pour the wine over the vegetables, bring to the boil, and cook over high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Add 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Tie the rosemary and thyme together with kitchen twine and add to the pot.
4) Place the roasted ribs on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven and add the beef stock and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
5) Carefully remove the short ribs from the pot and set aside. Discard the herbs and skim the excess fat. Cook the vegetables and sauce over medium heat for 20 minutes, until reduced. Put the ribs back into the pot and heat through. Serve with the vegetables and sauce.