1) In a medium skillet over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons of oil and the butter. When the butter melts into the oil, add the hash browns and thinly sliced onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, then turn with a spatula and press to crisp. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes more.
2) Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, caraway, paprika, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 5 minutes, until tender.
3) While the cabbage and potatoes are cooking, preheat the grill. Heat a small skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the chopped onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for 8 minutes, until soft and sweet.
4) Pat the meat dry and season with some oil, salt and pepper. Grill the meat for 10 to 15 minutes, ranging from medium-rare to medium-well doneness, turning once. Rest for 5 minutes then thinly slice against the grain.
5) While the meat cooks, add the sugar and vinegar to the onions and stir for 1 minute. Add the beef stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream.
6) Stir together the apple cider or juice and mustard and pour over the red cabbage. Stir to combine for 1 minute, then turn off the heat.
Remove the bay leaf from the gravy. Serve the cabbage and hash browns next to the sliced steak topped with gravy.