Recipe by: Food Network Kitchens
More Recipes You May Like
- 1 large onion, peeled, root end left intact, and quartered
- 4 whole cloves
- 250g thick-sliced smoked or pepper bacon, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 900g sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 whole garlic head, halved
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 2.5cm thick smoked pork chops (about 300g each)
- 450g Polish kielbasa sausage cut diagonally into 5-cm pieces
- 2 Bramley or other baking apples, cored and cut into large chunks
- 450g small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 350ml dry white wine
- 60ml gin
- Pumpernickel rye bread
- Assorted mustards
- Horseradish, sauce
How to make Slow-cooker choucroute
1) Stud each onion quarter with a clove. Layer the bacon, sauerkraut, garlic, onion quarters, herb sprigs, bay leaves, pork chops, kielbasa, apples, and potatoes in the slow cooker in the order listed, then pour the wine and gin over the top. Cover the cooker and set it on low.
2) Cook until the pork is falling off the bones and the potatoes are tender, at least 6 and up to 8 hours.
3) Arrange the meats, potatoes, apples, onions, garlic, and sauerkraut on a large platter and serve with the pumpernickel rye bread, mustards, cornichons, and horseradish sauce.