Smoked Mozzarella and Ricotta Fritters
Little nuggets of smoky cheese make for the perfect Italian starter.
For the fritters: 1) Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2) In a small bowl combine the ricotta, smoked mozzarella, salt, and pepper. Put the panko in another bowl. In a third bowl lightly beat the eggs and put the flour in a fourth bowl.
3) Scoop a 1 1/2 tbsp ball of the cheese mixture into the flour and roll to coat. Transfer the ball to the eggs and roll to coat. Transfer the cheese ball to the panko and again roll to coat. Transfer the ball to the baking tray. Continue with the remaining cheese mixture.
4) Meanwhile heat 8cm of vegetable oil in a large frying pan to 180°C. Fry the fritters in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
5) Sprinkle with thyme and serve warm with the balsamic dipping sauce.
For the balsamic dipping sauce: 1) Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and honey in a blender. Blend until combined. Add the oil in a steady stream while the machine is running.
2) Season with the salt and pepper and serve in a small bowl with the fritters.