2) Divide the mixture among 4 plates and arrange the beets around each plate. Tear the trout fillets into bite-sized pieces and place on each salad. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the trout roe and serve.
For the Meyer lemon mayonnaise:
1) Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mayonnaise, mustards and salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
2) Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified and stir in the tarragon.
For the smoked trout:
1) Combine the water, salt and sugar in a large container and mix until the salt is completely dissolved. Add the fish, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2) Soak the wood chips in water for at least 1 hour. Remove the trout, rinse and dry thoroughly.
3) Using a covered grill (charcoal, gas or electric), preheat to about 95C. Cover the heated coals with 1/3 of the hickory chips.
4) Place the fish, skin side down, on a well-greased grill, about 10cm from the coals. Close the grill hood and open the vent to circulate the smoke.
5) Add additional hickory chips, as necessary. Smoke the trout for approximately 20 minutes. The trout is done when the cut surface is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork.