2) Add the pecans and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the pecan mixture to a small dish and set aside. Reserve the pan for the pancake.
3) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, white sugar and salt. Set aside. Melt the remaining butter.
4) In a large bowl, add the egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter and whisk until blended. Gradually whisk in the flour mixture. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
5) Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the pumpkin mixture. Gently spoon the batter into the reserved pan. Sprinkle the top of the pancake mixture with the reserved pecan mixture. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6) Dust the pancake with icing sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup.