1) Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2) In a small bowl, mix the sugar and spices and set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, mix the pecan pieces with the egg white until well coated. Add the sugar and spice blend to the pecans and toss together until well coated.
4) Turn the nut mixture out onto a non-stick baking sheet and bake until the nuts are golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes.
5) Remove from the oven, allow to cool and then chop into small pieces and set aside.
Whilst the nuts are baking, make the orange bourbon butter:
1) Cream the butter in a mixer. Add the bourbon and orange zest and mix well. Leave at room temperature until ready to serve with the French toast. Refrigerate any leftovers.
To prepare the toast:
1) Preheat a large non-stick griddle or large skillet over high heat.
2) Slice the bread diagonally into 2.5cm slices.
3) Thoroughly coat the bread with the beaten eggs, but do not soak the bread in the egg mixtureâ€”it will fall apart.
4) Lightly brush the griddle with the melted butter, if desired. Place the coated bread slices on the griddle. Cook over high heat until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and transfer to warm plates.
5) Top each serving with 1 tablespoon orange bourbon butter, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of spiced pecans and serve immediately.