Made this? How was it?
- 1 batch cornbread, cut into 2 1/2cm cubes, recipe follows
- 1 (415g) tin red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (430g) tin corn kernels, drained
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, finely
- 1 large green pepper, finely
- 3 large tomatoes,
- 2 sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (250ml) bottle ranch dressing
- fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
For the cornbread:
- 8 tbsps vegetable oil, plus 4 tbsps for greasing tin
- 1 self-raising cornmeal
- 3/4 self-raising flour
- 1 creamed corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 sour cream
- 1 sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
How to make Southern cornbread salad
1) In the bottom of a large glass bowl, place the cornbread cubes. Layer the beans, sweetcorn, onion, green pepper, tomatoes and cheese on top of the cornbread.
2) Spread the ranch dressing evenly over the cheese. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Generously coat a cast iron frying pan with up to 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the hob over a medium-high heat.
2) Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
3) Pour the batter into the preheated cast iron pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time.
Yield: 8 servings
- Cornbread stuffing
- Southern fried chicken
- The ultimate lady's cheesy mac and....
- Tomato Mac and Cheese
- Creamy hash brown casserole
- Granulated sugar and nut glazed bri...
- Portobello mushroom burger
- Guiness corn fritters
- Oven-fried chicken
- Blow torch steak with bourbon mushr...
- Chocolate spiced pork chops
- Prawn stuffed mirliton